Special Education Needs Information Report 2017

1. What kind of special educational needs is accessible for children at the Primrose Centre?

As a Pupil Referal Unit, the Primrose Centre caters for all Primary aged pupils in the Sandwell area who have been permanently excluded.We also offer respite places for students who are at risk of permanent exclusion where a supported programme is in place to avoid exclusion.

“to learn, to achieve, to grow”
At the Primrose Centre, we have high expectations of all our pupils whatever their ability or needs. Our aim is that all pupils will become successful motivated children who are equipped to face the challenges of the future.

2. How do we identify and assess individual Special Educational Needs (SEN)?

At the Primrose Centre all pupils are assessed on entry with a review meeting with the parent/carers of the child and the school the child is being refered from. These discussions will highilight any concerns the school or the parents may have. Children who are referred to Primrose are children who need the most help, support and nurturing.

Ongoing assessment of the children allow teachers to plan for the individual needs of the children. These assessments are used to to concentrate on specific areas of need for each individual child and may be used to address specific concerns, such as social skills and behaviour. If the assessment shows that a child may have SEN then the class teacher or SENCO will contact the parents/carers of the child.

Our school leaders analyse the progress of every child each half term, and these results are discussed with class teachers. Interventions are then implemented and monitored to ensure that the child makes accelerated progress. We adapt our teaching to suit the needs of individuals wherever possible.

3. What should I do if I think my child has Special Educational Needs?

Firstly parents/carers should first talk to their child’s class teacher, the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) or the Head Teacher. School may organise a Community Assessment Meeting (CAM) (see below).

Parents may want to discuss their views with other professionals who work with their child, as they may have a further insite and professional knowledge.
The Primrose Centre and any the professionals who have been helping with the child will then meet with parents and decide the next steps. The next step may then involve a Community Assessment Meeting (CAM) before a request is sent to the Local Authority (LA).
Parents/carers may wish to contact Sandwell Parent Partnership which can offer assistance on 0121 5520047 or at sandwellparentpartnership@prospects.co.uk

4. How will school staff support my child?

The Primrose Centre is a small centre with a high staff ratio. Each class has a class teacher and support assistants who will assist the teacher by;
• helping a child or groups of children to take part in the work of the rest of the class (the teacher should ensure that the work is at the right level for your chid)
• taking small group activities directed by the teacher
• supporting a child with self-help, physical and social skills
• preparing work and/or materials for children
• delivering a programme aimed at developing skills i.e.
• reading, number etc; outside the class 1:1 or in a small group
• helping your child to become increasingly independent in their learning

5. How will teachers match the curriculum to my child’s needs?

The Centre’s response to child who are not making progress will be high quality teaching targeted at their areas of weakness. The Centre will offer highly individualised intervention for SEN pupil’s. The expectation is that SEN pupils will make good rates of progress. This will monitored by the Assess, Plan, Do, Review model illustrated by the Sandwell Handbook for SEN.

6. How is the decision made about the type and how much support my child will receive?

The impact and quality of the support and interventions will be evaluated along with the views of the child and their parents. The support and outcomes will be revised in light of the pupil’s progress, development and any changes made will be decided through consultation with the parent and pupil.

The Code of Practice states:
Where a pupil is receiving SEN support, schools should talk to parents regularly to set clear outcomes and review progress towards them, discuss the activities and support that will help them achieve and identify the responsibilities of the parent, the pupil and the school. Schools should meet parents at least three times each year.
Code of Practice 6.65

7. What support will there be for my child’s overall well-being?

The Primrose Centre offers a different approach to children; the ethos of the school is welcoming to all pupils, staff are flexible in approach and work together to create a nurturing environment to solve the complex issues that sometimes arise. As the Centre is unique in Sandwell the approach is also unique. All support is universal. Pupils have a very high pupils to staff ratio to ensure that any needs are addressed as quickly as possible. Pupils curriculum is tailored to the needs of the specific child. Therefore the Centre, the curriculum (including the extended curriculum, enrichment, School Council, breakfast and lunch) and the management of the children makes a substantial difference to the emotional wellbeing of vulunerable children.

8. How will school monitor the effectiveness of the support offered to my child?

The Centre regularly monitors the childrens’ learning and progress. The Social, Emotional and Mental Health difficulties of the children are monitored both in the Centre and through links with other agencies.

Half termly pupil progress meetings are held with the Head Teacher and teaching staff. From these meetings a half termly provision map is created to identify appropriate interventions.

The Governor who oversees this work is Mrs M Keating.

9. How will I know how well my child is progressing? Who do I talk to?

Parents/carers are always welcome to speak to staff about the progress of their child. If at any point a perent/carer would like to increase the amount of contact given then there are other options available;
• weekly phone calls
• home/school diary
• individual report system
• learning logs
If there is something a parent/carer would like included this can be discussed with the staff to see if it can be incorporated for that individual child.

10. How will my child be included in activities outside the school classroom including school trips?

All children at the Primrose Centre are included in activities. Children are able to earn “golden time” at the end of the day if all work set has been completed to a good standard and “enrichment” on a Friday afternoon. Children are allowed to choose from a catalogue of activities such as; football, Lego, board games, computer games, drawing, colouring, painting or sitting quietly with a member of staff.
Trips are offered to those pupils who again have worked hard towards personal targets and shown good progress. Any trips offsite are rigorously controlled and organised by trained staff who adhear to the Sandwell Trip Leader protocols. Parental permission slips are completed in advance where any health, SEN or medical needs are highlighted. This information is added to the overall plan.

11. Who in school is responsible for the management of SEND?

Mrs Jennifer Shuttleworth (Head Teacher) & Mrs M Keating (SEND Governor).

12. What specialist services and expertise are available at or accessed by the school?

The Centre works closely with Inclusion Support who offer a variety of services;
Connor Education Centre,
Connor Road,
West Bromwich, B71 3DJ or by telephone on 0845 352 7552.

The Centre works closley with other outside agencies when required, such as SALT (Speech and Language Therapy)

13. What training and expertise do staff have to support the additional needs of my child?

Permanent staff are all trained in MAPA, this is a course to support the staff in their management of actual or potential aggression (MAPA). MAPA offers a range of physical interventions which include a suit of disengagement techniques designed to enhance personal safety.
All staff who work at the Centre have to be trained in Safeguarding and training is held regularly.
The Centre offers intervention programmes such as;
• precision teaching
• five minute boxes (maths and literacy)
• phonics (letters and sounds)

14. How accessible is the school both indoors and outdoors?

The School is a single story building with doors suitable to accommodate a wheelchair. There is access to a disabled toilet. The outside playground is accessed through external doors in all classrooms and is therefore not a barrier to any children with additional needs.
See Accessibility Plan.

15. How are parents involved in the school? How can I get involved?

Parents/carers are welcome to call and speak to the staff at the Primrose Centre whenever they would like to. We welcome parent/carers to attend meetings to review the progress of their children or to discuss any concerns they may have.

Parents evening is held once a term and parents will receive termly individual pupil reports.

Parent Governors positions are also available to those parents who would like to take a more active role in the Centre.

16. How will my child contribute their views?

There are many ways at the Primrose Centre by which the childs voice is heard;
• Targets are shared, discussed and worked upon with pupil
• Self-assessment
• Next steps
• School council
• One page profiles
• Individual provision reviews
• Pupil questionnaires

17. Who do I contact if I am not happy with the support provided to my child?

If a parent or carer is unhappy with anything at the Centre then please contact us immediately so we can try to rectify this where ever possible. If there is still an issue after contacting the Centre then please ask for a copy of the complaints policy.

18. How does school contact support agencies?

The Primrose Centre works closely with a variety of agencies. These agencies will only be contacted to work with a child after a discussion has been had with the parent/carers. This is part of the graduated response to support children who may need more specialist help and advice.

19. Contacts details for support services:

• Inclusion Support – inclusion_support@sandwell.gov.uk
TEL: 0845 352 7552

• Speech and Language Therapy, Occupational Therapy, Physiotherapy
Parents should use the FASTA line to make referrals to all three services: FASTA line – 0121 612 2010

• SENDIASS (Previous SEN Parent Partnership) – 0121 552 0047

• Travel Assistance – sen_team@sandwell.gov.uk

20. How will school staff prepare and support my child when joining the school or transferring to a new school

The Primrose Centre works very closely with parents/carers, other professionals and the Local Authority and will only place a child back into mainstream when the child and the family are ready to do so. This descision is made on a case by case basis as every child is an individual and has individual needs. Some of these needs may have not been detected in the childs previous school and may need further exploration, therefore extending the childs stay at the Centre.

Once the child is returned to mainstream or an alternative provision, the support will not end there. There is a clear transition plan set out which offers a graduated introduction to the new school. This will be supported by the Local Authority.

21. Where will I find Sandwell’s Local Offer?


"To learn, to achieve, to grow!"

To encourage pupils to recognise and develop their talents to believe in their potential for success.